Call for Funding
The Softwood Lumber Research, Promotion, Consumer Education and Industry Information Order (Order) specifies that the purpose of the Softwood Lumber Board (SLB) is to “strengthen the position of softwood lumber in the marketplace, maintain and expand markets for softwood lumber, and develop new uses for softwood lumber”. In other words, the goal of the SLB is to fund initiatives and projects that increase sales of appearance and structural softwood lumber products.
To achieve this goal, the SLB objectives are to:
- Increase wood use in the light commercial/non-residential and multi-family markets.
- Defend and rebuild share for solid wood in the decking and outdoor living market.
- Protect access to the markets for solid wood products through ongoing codes and standards work.
- Grow demand in residential and mid-high rise construction through building system improvements and innovation.
The initiatives and projects funded by the SLB will need to lead directly or indirectly to the following measurable outcomes:
- Increased market share for softwood lumber
- Increased volume of softwood lumber consumed in the United States (incremental to normal market fluctuations)
- Increased softwood lumber prices
SLB’s has an open call for proposals. Organizations may submit proposals for market development and research activities for terms of up to one calendar year (projects must commence on or after January 1st and end on or before December 31st).
Proposals are evaluated against standardized criteria to ensure they meet SLB and USDA program eligibility requirements. Proponents are encouraged to review the following SLB documents:
The SLB Programs Committee will review all proposals and evaluate them using a clear and consistent process (SLB Proposal Evaluation Worksheet). Proposals receiving an evaluation score of at least 60 and the recommendation from the Programs Committee will be considered by the full SLB Board. Upon Board approval, SLB staff will work with successful recipients to negotiate Recipient Agreements that will govern their program.
SLB reserves the right to modify the terms of its Call for Proposals any time at its sole discretion. This includes the right to cancel the Call for Proposals at any time prior to entering into a Contract with successful Applicants. The Call for Proposals should not be construed as an agreement to purchase goods or services or provide project funding. SLB is not bound to enter into a Recipient Agreement with the Applicant who submits the lowest priced proposal, nor with any Applicant. Notwithstanding any other provision of this Call for Proposals, SLB may cancel, modify or amend its Call for Proposals.
Direct questions regarding the Call for Proposals to:
Softwood Lumber Board